10 May 2011

Is Your Mirror Lying?

Number 13:32-33
“All the people we saw there are of great size ... we seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes and we looked the same to them.”


How do I see myself? How do I imagine others see me? Does it matter? 

These sound like psychology questions but in this context they are also theological questions. They are questions about trusting God. Questions Caleb learned to answer better than most people.

Moses sent twelve spies to investigate the Promised Land. Ten in the group returned depressed. They convinced nearly everyone that taking the Land God had promised them was actually impossible. Only Caleb and Joshua gave a positive report. And if you look closely they are the only ones with a healthy self understanding. (Read the whole story in Numb. 13:1-14:45)

All twelve saw the same thing with their physical eyes. But, the group of ten and the group of two saw different things with their hearts.

Ten focused on giants who would surely defeat them. And so they saw themselves as “grasshoppers” certain to be stepped on. Their mirrors told them to run away.

Two focused on a God who would deliver them. So when they looked in the mirror, they saw mighty men about to pummel the unprotected Anakites (giants). Their lives are an inspiration!

I want Caleb’s mirror. Four questions help me to see my life as he learned to see his.

Who’s Eyes am I looking through? There are three points of view for each spy in this story. (a) Israelite eyes, (b) Anakite eyes and (c) Divine eyes. Caleb was not interested in the first two perspectives. He was only interested in seeing the situation from God’s point of view. This changes everything.

My life is very different through God’s eyes. Your view of me is inadequate and I need to worry less about it. What I see is partial and I need perspective. Faith in God yield’s a much higher, wider and wiser view of my life. Who's eyes? God's eyes.

What Emotions Are in Me? Fear is a huge inhibitor. When angels turn up in the bible the first thing they usually say is “Don’t be afraid.” Caleb says it twice in his speech. (Numb 14:9) We need to call fear out, confront it and defuse it. When we see fear for what it is we are better placed to obey God.

I will confront my fear by naming it and then turning to God. The only “fear” that leads to wisdom is a fear of God. Fear of people, unknown adventures, personal failure, aging, losses or hurts will only cripple my life. What emotion? Trust in God.

What Conversation is in My Head? Caleb together with Joshua speaks positively. “We can certainly do it” he tells everyone. “The land is exceedingly good” they declare. “If God is pleased with us, he will … give it to us.” This is the talk of bold faith. It is anchored in God’s promise and a wonderful story of divine faithfulness.

Israel has taken a long walk to get to this moment. They left Egypt with a promise from God. As they travelled they saw God part the Red Sea and rain manna from heaven. Now they need to retell that story and shout their obedience to it. The best way to face fortified cities and very large enemies is to do so while talking about the power of God.

Ten of these spies have the wrong conversation in their heads. They aren't thinking about what God has done so they don't speak about what God could do. Caleb and Joshua are different!

I purpose to tell God’s story not mine. What conversation? God Can, God Will!

What Spirit Motivates Me? I want Caleb’s spirit. It was different from the others. He “followed God wholeheartedly”. (Numb. 14:24). From this inner strength he acted and spoke differently. He challenged popularity poles and stood against the crowd.

I will seek to be filled with God’s Holy Spirit, the very source of Caleb’s difference. I want to walk in step with the Spirit. What spirit? The Holy Spirit.

My Mirror
So, I keep working on my view of self. It is important that my mirror doesn't lie to me. When it does, I risk failing God. Good questions help me to see, feel, talk and respond from God’s perspective and not just my own.

Don’t call me a grasshopper. God is with me and I am much more than you can see.

Questions
  • Do you agree that self-image is important in your walk of faith?
  • What inhibits healthy self-image? What fosters a good self-image?
  • How healthy is your self-image?
Leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment