16 June 2011

Am I Doing Enough for the Poor?

Deuteronomy 15:11 
“There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be open-handed towards your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.”


I am committed to serving the poor! But am I doing enough? The very question can make me feel guilty. The need is huge and sometimes I just switch off. Neither response is helpful.

God is deeply concerned about the poor and verses like Duet. 15:11 challenge me to get this right. So today I did some practical planning.

Evaluate.
I wrote out seven questions to help me self evaluate. They may help you as well.

When did I last …
  1. feel compassion for the poor?
  2. pray about poverty?
  3. give to alleviate poverty (money, time, skill)?
  4. speak out about poverty (to a friend, a group, a politician )?
  5. learn something new about poverty?
  6. shop ethically?
  7. visit or live with the poor (locally or internationally)?
Then I answered each question this way.
  • Recently enough. Go to the next question.
  • Too long ago. Stop and plan the appropriate action, then go to the next question.

The goal was not to make myself feel guilty, but to figure out what I needed do. I discovered three areas that needed a plan. How about you?

Act.
Here are a handful of ideas to help you make plans for each of the seven questions. Please leave comments with your additional ideas below.
  • Change the background picture on your computer or phone to an image that will help you think and pray about poverty. Not necessarily a guilt-image but something that moves you.
  • Write out a prayer for the poor. Revisit it from time to time.
  • Search “poverty” on YouTube and give yourself a 30min education
  • Read Tim Costello’s book: "Another Way to Love".
  • Visit Make Poverty History or the Micah Challenge and read up. Then write to a politician.
  • Speak out about poverty on your Facebook or Twitter account.
  • Attend a church that cares about the poor.
  • Give to your church, a mission group or an agency that you trust.
  • Walk the City streets with extra cash. Be prepared and ask God to show you how to give it away.
  • Loan money to micro-enterprises in the developing world. I do this through Kiva.org
  • Get the Ethical Shopping App for your phone. (And don’t consider these shopping choices a hardship. See: Deut. 15:18)
  • Serve in a soup kitchen or food program
  • Take an awareness trip to a needy part of the world. Live among the poor.

Beyond Guilt.
Today I read my Bible and realised, “No” I am not doing enough for the poor. But I am refusing to switch off or to just feel guilty. Today I took some simple actions. My plans are not big enough to amaze anyone, but I am doing a little more than yesterday and that is good.

Questions
  • Which of the seven questions is most challenging for you? And where are you doing really well?
  • What questions would you like to add to this self-evaluation?
  • Can you add some actions to the list?
  • Please leave a comment

A short video. "What is Poverty?"

(If video does not load copy & paste this link in your browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL-8HPdBroc)



You may also enjoy reading these posts:

6 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Allan. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I worked in uptown Saint John, New Brunswick (I know you know where that is Allan, I'm just saying for others who may be reading!), there were always men on the street asking for money when I walked around at lunch time. So one day I decided to take an extra lunch and see what happened. Sure enough, someone asked me for some money. I said I didn't have any money to give but I had an extra lunch. I think he was shocked but he was also quite happy to have something good to eat.

    I appreciate your comments about doing something simple and always evaluating my response to the poor. It's certainly easy to ignore the need or only respond when it's convenient for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Allan! You're cool.
    I like how you make everything simple and understandable. Hazzar for dot points!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Allan,
    It is a great challenge.
    Another action step: Get involved in a group that has similar views on the poor. It's hard for man (or woman) to be self motivated all the time. I believe it is easiest to take action when you are standing with one or two people. So seek out people who share similar values and keep motivated!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biblical and very practical - just like your sermons!! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone!

    SF: Cheers!

    Penny: Great idea taking an extra lunch to the City!

    Amy: Yes, I am a dot-point freak really.

    Anon: You make an exceptional point. Don't walk it alone - find a team. Well said.

    David: You're kind mate.

    ReplyDelete