18 January 2011

Does God Know How to Tell a Joke or What!

Gen 21:6, 7
Sarah said, “God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me.” And she added, “Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age.”



The first laugh in the Bible (Gen 17:17) is attributed to Abraham. He fell on his face laughing at “the one about” the guy who is 100 years old and going to have a baby – some joke.

The second laugh in the Bible (Gen 18:2) is credited to Sarah, Abraham’s wife. She laughed when she heard the same ROTF story. Does God know how to tell a joke or what? (I note the beautiful exchange with the messenger – you laughed, no I didn’t, yes you did! I don’t think that’s a rebuke, I think it is God giving Sarah a “sign”. She laughed to herself it says – no sound? But God heard. Could it be that even my suppressed laughter is a prayer. And my tears? Is God saying,
Trust me, if I can hear your thoughts, I can fulfill your dreams.)

The third laugh in the Bible (Gen 21:6) is an invitation for ME! Paraphrased: “God has brought Sarah laughter and when Allan hears about this he will laugh with her”. And I am laughing. Three laughs actually.

  1. I’m laughing as any good natured person would at a great story with a comic twist. 
  2. I’m laughing because Sarah is laughing. I always find laughter contagious
  3. I’m laughing because I am genuinely happy. I know where this BIG story is going and I am a part of it, that delights me.
Question
What aspect of your faith story makes you and others laugh for joy with God?

Epilogue
Sad to notice that the laughter of verse 6 is all gone in the next paragraph when Sarah starts to hate on her maid, Abraham is “greatly distressed” and Hagar and Ishmael collapse in the desert sobbing!

Party one day, broken heart the next. Sounds like life.


Take courage. “God heard … God opened her eyes … God was with the boy!
(Gen 21:1-21)

Note Job 8:21
“He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy.” (Bildad fails in the end as a counselor, but I think he has this one right!)

No comments:

Post a Comment