22 January 2011

Ever Receive a Welcome like this?

Luke 15:25 The older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing


Here is a great video clip. Enjoy, then read below.

(If the video fails to load visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3NPNM4xgo)
 
If a mobile phone company can make me feel this warm and fuzzy, imagine what God’s welcome will do for my soul. The music, the smiling and hugging, the sense of community and the overwhelming surprise – I think all these things will be a part of God’s eternal welcome.

The story of the Prodigal Son hints at this (Luke 15:11-32). The younger brother's home coming has all these elements:
  • Embracing and welcome 
  • Forgiving and restoring
  • Gifts, food, clothing
  • Music and dancing
  • Love!
The generous father in the story puts on an amazing celebration to welcome his undeserving son home.

I believe that God will do the same for me in eternity. John says it will be like a huge wedding (Rev 19:1-9). The invitations have gone out. The band is already rehearsing. What a welcome it will be.

The morning I step into God’s eternity I know I will be more at home than I have ever been before. Now there's a thought to carry with me everywhere!

Questions
  • What is your best ever personal welcome?
  • How does the idea of a "welcome home" help you to live out your faith?

Epilogue
There is an older son in this story who chooses not to join the dancing. He reminds me that a welcome is only half of the home coming. The other half is accepting it. The one being embraced must return the hug.

There is a little bit of the sour and self-righteous older brother in each of us. Take note. Beware!

PS. I do hope you can overlook the too-casual use of God’s name in one or two places on the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment