02 August 2011

Let the Weak Say I Am Strong

Judge 6:15 
“Gideon replied, ‘but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.’ The LORD answered, ‘I will be with you …’”


Contemporary culture despises weakness. God does not! In fact, God seems to relish the opportunities that weakness presents. He uses weak people in weak situations. He will use you if you allow him.

Gideon is no Samson (Judges 13). He is not courageous like Deborah (Judges 4), or clever like Ehud (Judges 3). He whines, worries and procrastinates. He doesn’t have the fortitude to stand up for his convictions in the daylight and he asks God for sign, after sign, after sign. You wouldn’t call Gideon impressive. As he himself sums it up, he is the weakest member of the weakest clan in Israel. YET, God uses him powerfully.

There is something about vulnerability and disadvantage that sets the stage for mighty acts of God. When we are weak the Spirit helps us (Rom 8:26), Jesus empathises with us (Heb 4:15) and God’s power is made perfect (2 Cor. 12:9). When you see a weak person, do not despise or reject them. Christ was weak.

If you can get rid of your weakness do so. I am not applauding character flaws or laziness. But if your weakness is forced on you, don’t despair. A disheartening inadequacy may prove to be the start of something unexpected and God intended. Beyond each cross there is an empty tomb.

Do NOT assume that your weakness is:
  • Primarily a limitation
  • Unique to you
  • A surprise to God
  • An end to your dream
  • A disqualification
  • An embarrassment to those who love you
  • A roadblock for God
  • Permanent (factor in eternity)

God’s word to Gideon is life giving: “Go in the strength you have ... I will go with you!” (Judges 6:14-16). That is God’s word to you and me today. Grasp it and live.

Questions
  • What weakness do you need to surrender to God?
  • How have you experienced God’s power in your frailty?
  • Please leave a comment.

Enjoy one of my favourite songs: "What the Lord has done in me"


(If video does not load paste link in your browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4H6Uv7BI7I)


No comments:

Post a Comment