12 March 2011

10 Life Changing Lessons from Manna

Exodus 16:4
"The LORD said to Moses, 'I will rain down bread from heaven for you.'"


Imagine leading 20,000 people* across the desert. Moses could have used a project manager, a logistics team and a serious supply chain. He had none of these. He had something better – God.

Not surprisingly, the people quickly became thirsty and hungry. Like any wanting mob they complained. Moses took the complaint to God who answered immediately with fresh water and food from heaven! Quail in the evening, manna in the morning (Ex 16:13, 15).

Manna
Moses called the morning food “bread” from the Lord. The people saw it and said “What is it?”, or in Hebrew “Manna?” The name stuck. Apparently the quail was a periodic treat, but the manna kept coming.

Each morning it arrived, wafer-like and white in colour. It formed with the morning dew and after the people collected what they needed it melted away with the sun's heat. They compared it with coriander seed and the flavour of honey. Each night the uneaten leftovers decayed, stinking and maggot ridden.

Fridays were different. Friday-manna lasted two days instead of one so they could collect more. This made it possible for the people to keep Saturdays free from work. They could rest, recharge, bless God and live well. They could keep a Sabbath.

The manna kept coming for 40 years. It sustained them in the desert but they didn’t always enjoy it. Nearly 15,000 serves of manna would tire anyone really. Not even a Jamie Oliver “Doing More with Manna” cookbook would revive their appetite! Israel complained. God provided variety. But Israel’s attitude was bad and God’s response was confronting (Number 11).

When they arrived in Canaan morning-manna stopped coming. From then on they ate the fruit of their new land of promise. Manna became a testimony. They even put some in a golden jar inside the Ark of the Covenant to remind future generations that God had been faithful to Israel. The story still feeds faith today (Josh 5:12, Ps. 78:24, John 6:31).

Here are my ten life insights from reading and thinking about manna:

1. Acknowledge God’s care for me. God provides. Not always what we expect or when , but he does satisfy our needs if we invite him.

2. Only take what I need! Leftovers spoil. Greed and selfishness bred maggots in my character and a stench in my soul. Travel light. Trust God to provide again tomorrow.

3. Focus on today. The manna story reminds me to take it a day at a time. To live sparrow-like or lily-like and not borrow future troubles. I can plan and dream, but I don’t have to worry about tomorrow or pretend I am in control. (Matt 6:25-34)

4. Participate in my own care. I notice that the people had to collect their own meals. God built no McMannas in the wilderness. He has built none in my path either. I work together with God.

5. Plan to rest and trust God to make my life sustainable. I love the fact that God provides seven days worth of resources in six days. My necessary work can be accomplished in six days if I am paying attention to what God is doing. I also note the necessity of planning in order to rest well.

6. Share God’s concern for the environment. Manna was an eco-friendly breakfast. All the unneeded manna “melted away”. No plastic wrappers, just biodegradable leftovers. Are my life style habits and God's global care values aligned?

7. Recognise my utter dependence. Food comes from God. Breath comes from God. Life belongs to God.

8. Don’t complain, be thankful. We all get tired of repetition. After awhile Israel got tied of manna and complained. “We have lost our appetite” they said. It would be better if I learned to foster gratitude instead. (Numb 11:6)

9. Pass God’s dependence “test”. Deut 8:16 says: “He gave you manna to eat in the desert ... to humble and to test you so that in the end it might go well with you.” I want to pass the test in flying colours.

10. Tell my stories of Gods' faithfulness. Each new generation needs a bold testimony. God preserved some manna in the Ark of the Covenant to help Israel tell the story to their young people. Stories of God's care encourage and sustain faith. (Heb 9:4)

Prayer: Thank you Lord for letting manna teach me. Thank you for feeding me every day. And Lord, please give me my daily bread again tomorrow. Amen!

Questions
  • How have you experienced God’s daily provision?
  • Which of these ten insights is most helpful for you? What would you add to this list?
 
Epilogue
Manna points to Jesus. It is a symbol of God’s provision, his food from heaven. When Jesus feeds you, his manna is life giving in a profound and death defying way. You won’t need to eat again. (John 6:58)

* The Population of the Exodus is debated. The word translated “thousand” in Ex 12:37 (600, 000 men) could also be translated “family”, “leader” or “tribe”. Estimates range from 20,000 to 2,000,000 people. Even the smaller of the estimates makes the point.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful reflection Allan...now to living the principles. Thanks so much. Don

    ReplyDelete