15 March 2011

Exhausted? Here's Help.

Exodus 18:17
“What you are doing is not good … you will wear yourself out.”


Moses was an E-C leader. Are you one? He was Exhausted and Conscientious. It is a dangerous combination.

Moses was exhausted. His job was too big. At least that is how it appeared to his father-in-law Jethro, who came for a visit. The huge company of Israelites who had followed Moses out of Egypt now looked to him for religious and moral leadership. He was both leader and judge. His “position description” was unsustainable.

Moses was conscientious. He wanted to serve the people. But the amount of work was wearing him out. The people were probably not getting judgements quickly enough either and so he was wearing them out too. (Exodus 18:18)

Sadly, this is not uncommon. There are Exhausted-Conscientious people everywhere. They often plough themselves into despair and breakdown. Moses was fortunate because he got help.

This story suggests three great questions for exhausted people. I will apply them to myself first.

1. Who is watching me and giving useful advice? Jethro was an excellent productivity coach for Moses. He noticed things and gave great feedback. I need people in my life who will do exactly this. They will need to stand close to me. I probably don’t need a high paid consultant. I could ask my spouse, colleague, neighbour, or one of my in-laws (as with Moses). But I will need to give them permission to speak up. Humility and deference to their ideas will be essential (Numb 12:3). I have several people watching me for different aspects of my work. And, today I am reminded to encourage their feedback again. Key: COACHING

2. What explanations and excuses do I give? Moses had good answers for Jethro’s questions. He was busy because he was God’s appointed judge. But, the explanations he gave needed to be rethought. At least a part of Moses’ answer was actually an excuse. Constant reflection on my action is a key part of learning and growing. And having someone help me “hear myself” as I explain what I do can be eye opening. What am I doing that should be changed or re-evaluated or discontinued all together? Are any of my explanations really just excuses? Key: REFLECTING

3. Who is waiting to share the load with me? Jethro’s key advice was sage and simple. Share the load! Find good and gifted people to work along side you and get the work done more effectively together. There is a problem here of course. Delegation always makes you busier – initially. In the end it is the wisest time investment of all. Key: DELEGATING

Here is my five step approach to delegating in a volunteer context:

(a) Define the task. Think through what is required, how much time, what skills, to whom the role is accountable and how long the first term of service will be (always have a finish line). In many cases this should be written down. Be as honest and open as you can. Don’t make the role look small if it is really big.

(b) Brainstorm possible candidates. This is best done with the help of others. I try to list many more names than I will need. Don’t make other people’s decisions for them, list every valid candidate who comes to mind.

(c) Priorities the list with prayer. Decide who to approach first. I usually involve others in this part of the task as well. This can be a very spiritual step in the process as I seek God’s wisdom. I often use criteria like those listed by Jethro (Exodus 18:21).

(d) Make a two fold approach. First, ask the person to think about the role. Give them the description and as much information as possible. Explain the steps you have taken so far (a)-(c). Answer any questions and offer prayer support. Second, invite a response by a particular date and follow-up with appropriate support and the offer of more time if required. Repeat until the right person is recruited.

(e) Train, support and encourage liberally. Providing the right induction and ample on going support is critical for delegation to work. Good people thrive on constructive feedback and affirmation.

The boundaries of time cannot be altered. However, the choices made within those boundaries can change. We don’t need to be exhausted. God doesn't intend that you or I should wear ourselves out.


Questions
  • Are you wearing yourself out just now? Does something need to change?
  • What questions do you find helpful in evaluating your approach to time?

Just for Fun

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I could suggest a few other ways the Irish delegate..speaking from experience!! Thank you Allan. Again, the most important, prioritise with prayer - without starting our to do list that way, we just go in circles.
    Great to be able to check the references on my newly downloaded Bible app too!
    Blessings Pam

    ReplyDelete