25 March 2011

Forgive My Empty Hands

Exodus 34:20
The Lord Said: “No one is to appear before me empty-handed”


When we go to dinner parties it is always Janet who reminds me, we shouldn’t go empty handed. So, we take flowers, baking, a seasonal gift, a card or a bottle of drink. To be honest, I sometimes debate the point. Is it really necessary? She is wiser and usually wins the exchange. The recipients are always grateful.

I came upon this verse of Scripture and realised that God and Jan are in sync on this point. But the verse raised some practical questions for me. And then it convicted me!

What should I bring to God? And Why? Here are my reflections starting with the last question first.

Why should I bring something to God?
NOT because he needs what I have. And not so I can buy his affection. These notions are ruled out by other sections of Scripture. I think it has more to do with my need to honour God, to show humility in his presence and to put my life in his hands. Here are three reasons as I see it.

1. To affirm my dependence. In chapter 34 the gift which God requires is a symbol or a substitute for the “first born”. When your first child is born, bring God a gift. When your animals give birth and your herds grow, bring God a gift. And when your crops yield and your harvest begins, bring God a gift. These are all measures of wealth in the ancient world. My gifts to God are recognition of my dependence upon him.

2. To celebrate our friendship. God and I are covenant friends. This verse appears in the context of a promise from God: “I am making a covenant with you ... I will do wonders never before done” (Exodus 34:10). God is inviting relationship. My offerings to him are an expression of gratitude and kinship.

3. To express my obedience. I should bring something to God because he asks me to. When I was writing my thesis, my supervisor asked me to bring new written work to every meeting. I obeyed. That is how I got the degree. God knows that I need the discipline of bringing, giving, yielding and obeying – that is why he asks this of me. My obedience is about building my life.

What can I bring to God?
Here are some of the things I purpose to have in my hands whenever I come to God.
  • The first of my money. I get paid. I can give the first part of my income to God. I have done this for many years (giving ten percent to my church and more to various missions). Giving the first part of my pay is an act of dependence on God. He has always looked after me.
  • The first gain of each success in my vocation. Anything that goes well is to God's glory. Business and ministry successes can be “given” to God. Sometimes that is money again. Sometimes it is a story expressed in prayer. Sometimes it is an artefact that can be shared with others who have a need.
  • The first hours of my day. I choose to meet God in the morning and make the earliest time his. I come to God not to tick an obligation but to spend quiet sacred time.
  • Words of gratitude. I will bring God words of thanks. This requires stoping to think and be specific.
  • My full attention. This is a gift I am learning to give my children, my staff, my wife, my parents AND my God. Attentive listening is more costly than you think. It is hard work. It is a gift.
  • First call on my possessions. Yielding my house, car, books and all my “stuff” to God is an act consistent with this invitation. I can “bring” things to God by sharing what I have.
  • First option on my diary. I can give hours to causes. I can participate in ministries. I can spend time with others (including family and friends) expressing practical love. These moments can be “in my hands” when I come to God. I can even rest (Sabbath) as a gift to God!
For me the challenge of this verse is to be more thoughtful about what is “in my hands” as I come to God. I need to be aware and intentional. I want to be a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1).

God doesn’t require my gifts to complete my salvation. He invites my offering for what it does to me, not what it achieves for him. He knows that if I come empty handed I will not mature. But, if I come with gifts for God this feeds something very important in my spirit. 

Questions
  • What do you bring to God? When and Why?
  • How could this idea of giving gifts to God be abused?
  • Is it always wrong to to come empty handed? Surely not.

Epilogue
There are other things that I will also bring. These are not really offerings so much as realities. I bring my sins to God. I bring my hurt and dark emotions. I bring my lament and disappointment. I don’t think these ugly things qualify as gifts but my God is no tyrant. These things too are welcome. And often he heals!

1 comment:

  1. On reflection, I think the Epilogue answers the third question. If we accept that our God is a God who meets people at their point of need (be it redemption, brokenness, strife etc) then there will be times when people can only bring 'nothing' to God. Ironically, this can also be the greatest thing to bring; there is a 'gift' of humility in coming to Him knowing you are nothing / have nothing to offer - except openness of heart. Psalm 8:4

    ReplyDelete