18 March 2011

Restoring My Soul

Psalm 23:2,
“He makes me lie down … he restores my soul.”


Nice! God makes me lie down. Sleep, relaxation and rest are wonderful gifts from God. This verse pictures God going around “making” the people lie down (almost sounds insistent). Why would God do that? Because he loves people. And, he knows what restores our souls.

So, welcome to another weekend. Time to recline a little. And isn’t it fantastic that what I thought was laziness could possibly be divine privilege. Now, how can I tell the difference?

Bad Rest verses Good Rest, four thoughts.

1. Conclusion verses intermission. I no longer think of rest as reward for finished work. Most of my pastoral work never finishes. Instead, I think of God’s “making me lie down” as the appropriate intermissions along the way. This helps me in two ways. (a) I rest in the middle of a task. (b) And I start tasks I can’t finish before break time. If I always wait until I can say: “Done!” I won’t get the rest I need and I won’t start the exhausting projects. Rest does not nourish if I am just procrastinating, nor is it only available when my to-do list is done.

2. Selfish verses soulful. This Psalm describes a very fruitful reason for rest – a restored soul. People with healthy souls are good to be with. It helps me to think about my reclining (in “green pasture”, by “still waters” or more likely in my easy chair) as nourishment for my inner person, not a reward for everything I did this past week. If I focus on myself I am likely to be either (a) bitter thinking that I “deserve” more or (b) guilty thinking that I don’t “deserve” this rest and should really be working. The starting place is wrong. Rest is about soul-renewal not self-reward.

3. Collapse verses care. Rest at the end of a massive marathon is often accompanied with illness. Sometimes my holidays have been like that. Falling in a heap every few months is hardly soul restoring. Good rest is frequent, measured, unremarkable, fun and noticeably restorative.

4. Career climbing verses vocation. The tiredness of competitive career climbing is soul destroying. The weariness of obedience is not. Regular rest will heal the second, only a life change will heal the first.

Sam Farmilo Preached recently at NewHope (click here to watch) and shared two insightful "versions" of Psalm 23. I hope you enjoy them! My prayer is that God will preserve me from the dysfunction of version one and instill the joy of version two in my life.

PSALM 23, ANTITHESIS
The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me to deep depression.
It hounds my soul.
It leads me in circles of frenzy for activity’s sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task,
I will never get it all done,
For my “ideal” is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval,
they drive me.
They demand performance from me,
beyond the limits of my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines.
My in-basket overflows.
Surely fatigue and time pressure shall
follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration forever.
Marcia K. Hornok, PSALM 23, ANTITHESIS

PSALM 23 Japanese Version
The Lord is my Pace-setter, I shall not rush;
He makes me stop and rest for quiet intervals.
He provides me with images of stillness,
which restore my serenity.
He leads me in ways of efficiency
through calmness of mind,
and His guidance is peace.
Even though I have a great many things
to accomplish each day,
I will not fret, for His presence is here;
His timelessness, His all importance,
will keep me in balance.
He prepares refreshment and renewal
in midst of my activity,
By anointing my mind with His oils of tranquility.
My cup of joyous energy overflows,
surely harmony and effectiveness
shall be the fruits of my hours,
for I shall walk, in the pace of my Lord
and dwell in His house forever.
Toki Miyashina, Japanese version of the 23 Psalm

Questions
  • How do you distinguish good rest and bad rest?
  • How open are you to God "making" you lie down? 
  • How do you know when your soul is "restored"?

Epilogue
And another thing. If regular rest can restore my soul (the more real and enduring part of me) image what "sleeping in Jesus" can do. (1 Thess. 4:14)

Image Sourced: http://cuteoverload.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/lazy-frog.jpg (Thanks Pete!)

2 comments:

  1. Psalms 121:4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep. Interesting Pastor Allan that the word slumber is the same word as the word sleep in it original meaning...so the verse say "neither sleeps nor sleeps" I'm grateful for that kind of watch care aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Psalm 23 Antithesis is food for thought isn't it! Eek...

    ReplyDelete