19 July 2011

Those Boring Bible Genealogies: 7 Tips

Luke 3:23-37
"... Joseph, the son of Heli, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melki, the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph, the son of ... zzzz"

This is boring! Lists like this are found all through the bible. How should I read them? Or should I even bother?

An analogy. We have a Christmas card mailing list. Everyone on it is part of the Demond story and just reading the list of names brings joy. On the other hand, it would be torture to have to read your list (unless we have lots of common friends). And that’s what it can feel like to read Luke 3 (or Gen. 36, Numb. 34, Josh. 12, 1 Chron. 1-9, etc.). The only way I will ever enjoy these passages is if I get to know the people. Can that happen?

Here are seven strategies that help. I pick one each time I encounter a boring people list.

1. Scan the passage for familiar names. When I find a name I stop and remember that person’s story. Because we are both in God’s family that person is in my story too. This becomes more rewarding the more I get to know my bible. The goal: celebrate the people I know in God’s story.

2. Read a few verses slowly and go deep. I choose only two or three verses. I have a go at saying each name. Then I check cross-references in the margins and notes to learn where else these names turn up in bible. The goal: discover something new about a person God wants us all to remember.

3. Speed read the whole thing, surf the text. I don’t actually read the names. I just slur past them and try to “feel” the flow of the text. Some lists have little or no cadence, but some genealogies almost sing themselves (e.g. Josh. 12:9-34). I imagine an Elder standing in an ancient assembly of God’s people chanting this family story, this great poem of praise. The goal: “sense” the poetry, “feel” the history.

4. Skim the section looking for an unexpected tidbit. Example Gen 36:24: “… This is the Anah who discovered the hot springs in the desert while he was grazing the donkeys of his father Zibeon.” How random! I let my mind play with this bit of history. Why is it even in the bible? Anah is known for something that happened while he was faithfully tending his donkeys. With God you can become a hero just doing your job in the desert. The goal: find the unexpected and reflect on it.

5. Read with the aid of an expert. Check a bible commentary. Scholars who study the names and make connections across the whole Bible often give me gems. The goal: gain new insight.

6. Study one of the places named. Many of the lists include geography. So, I choose the first place name I do not know and find it on a map (sometimes Google earth). I might consult a bible dictionary. The goal: become aware of a real place.

7. Pray it instead of reading it. I put my hand on the text and pray. I thank God that he loves people enough to preserve ancient lists like this, that I am part of his family and that my name is written in his eternal book together with all of their names (Rev 3:5). Then I turn the page and keep reading. The goal: embrace the purpose of the text whether I read the words or not.

Two cautions
  • Be aware that lots of people have the same name.
  • Don’t build a new theology out of a random tidbit of information found in a people list.
Happy list reading! I hope these tips will help you stay awake.

Questions
  • What gems have you found hidden in people lists in the bible? 
  • Do you have another approach for addressing lists like Luke 3? 
  • Please leave a comment.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips Allan I must admit I usually half read or skip these bits. This gives me some other options:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I'm guilty of the same thing Melissa. But every once in a while there is a real gem. Happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete